Wednesday, June 24, 2015

5 Things {Kate Spain}

Hi there!  We are continuing our 5 Things series! Today we get to learn more about the lovely Kate Spain! Jodie and I actually had the chance to meet Kate last year at Quilt Market, and she is just the sweetest and loveliest person!

Alright! Let's get started! 



Kate is a fabulous and well-known designer for Moda Fabrics.  She has designed some of our most favorite fabric collections and has a very unique style.  Among fabric designing, Kate licenses her drawings, patterns, and photographs to manufacturers around the world.(source) You can find Kate's lovely designs on anything from bedding, pillows, rugs, paper, and of course fabric! 

Before we get to the five things, I asked Kate a few specific questions about her work and inspiration! I hope you enjoy getting to know Kate as much as I have! 




Where do you get your inspiration from?

Absolutely everwhere! The patterns and designs I create are often a result of being a careful observer of the details all around me. You’d be surprised how the smallest motif from a decorative doorknob or flower buds and blooms can be the source for graphic inspiration. Photography is a way to document what/how I see and helps me to zoom in on the details to record what I encounter…flowers, leaves, colors, natural shapes and textures. There is inspiration everywhere and always something new to discover. Come follow along with me on Instagram! If you like cats...well...there are also plenty of feline photos. I can't help it.


What was the first thing you designed?
Ever? Hmm...when I was about 6, I designed stencils for my bedroom. One was a flower and the other was a bird singing my name in a speech bubble. With my Mom's help, we painted them onto the bubble-gum-pink walls. Fast forward, and the first thing I designed after starting my own business was a set of paper plates that were sold at Target stores. A "pinch me" moment for sure!

What are you currently working on?
I just completed the designs for my next Christmas fabric collection and am now designing two new quilt patterns for fall quilt market that will go with the fabric line I'll be showing there (more on that later). I'm also working on a new line of bedding, and a presentation to a stationery company. My newest Christmas collection, Jingle,  just shipped to stores (pattern is available in our online shop). 

Elements, my new thread collection with Aurifil is now available (also in our shop). 




Annnd, I'm getting excited for the release of Canyon! I've already seen some projects using precuts from Quilt Market and am loving what people are making with it. I have two patterns, Geodeand Desert Rose, available in our shop if anyone is interested. Never a dull moment around here!

Pre-Order Canyon HERE





What does your creative space look like?

It's bright, sunny, colorful and usually pretty clean *wink, wink*.











1. I love to cook. One of my favorite things to make is fresh pasta, especially ravioli. A friend recently taught me how to make ricotta cheese and honestly, I'll never go back to store-bought.

2. I have an inexplicable aversion to the color red that I'm always trying to work through! I don't know what it is, but I even have a hard time planting red flowers in our garden. Red flowers are the ones that attract hummingbirds, though...so I make an exception for them :)

3. I love the ocean beyond words.



4. I absolutely love bicycling. When I was 14, I went on a group bike tour that was supposed to go from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco. However, on the third day of riding, I fell off my bike and broke my collar bone. Ever since, I have been able to predict rainfall within 24 hours more accurately than any weather person! I still love biking to this day, but every time I go down a hill, I have a small fear that still exists and I can't seem to overcome it.

5. I've held a hedgehog!

6. I still know every word to the Grease soundtrack. But believe me, you don't want to hear me sing it. I can't carry a tune to save my life (but it doesn't stop me from singing)!

Oh wait, that's 6 things! :)


I want to thank Kate for stopping by today and letting us have a little peek into her creative life! 

You can find Kate over on her website: 



2 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

Kate Spain is such a talented artist and so kind. She even has responded to my email.

Michele said...

I love Kate's fabrics and have all of them in some form or another. Plus I'm hosting my 3rd Kate Spain charm swap, this time a Christmas one. I just can't help myself. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...