Monday, January 16, 2017

Raspberry & Cream BOM {Block 1}


Hi there! I am so excited that we are finally starting this gorgeous Block of the Month! :) 

Today I am sharing the first block:

Air Castles


NOTE:

These patterns are not "free", so you will need to purchase a kit to receive the fabric + patterns.  The Raspberry & Cream BOM was designed & written by Marsha McCloskey.  We are simply sharing our progress and giving a few tips on completing your blocks as you sew along using your purchased pattern.

Pattern designed by Marsha McCloskey.  Fabric from Clothworks



For this block you will need to use fabrics B, F, A and D from your Blocks Kit:

Before starting, be sure you read all your instructions that were provided in your kit. 

When cutting your squares, use your Bias Square Plus Ruler for precision cutting! This is the first time I've used this ruler and I really like it.  I like the fact that the 1/8" lines are dotted - so you can easily see those and differentiate quickly between the 1/4" marks and the 1/8" marks.  

Bias Square-Plus Ruler - Purchase HERE

The ruler also makes it quite easy to cut half-square triangles and quarter-square triangles.  Almost all of the blocks will require one or both kinds of triangles.  So this ruler will be super helpful as we go along. 


I am a very visual person, so when it comes time to put a block together - I have to layout the entire thing before I start sewing pieces together.  What I like to do is lay it out right next to my sewing machine - so I can easily pick up the pieces and sew them together without accidentally sewing the wrong pieces together.  


Your blocks should measure 9.5" x 9.5" unfinished.  The best way to ensure you get that is to use a 1/4" presser foot!

I love how the block turned out! 

Pattern designed by Marsha McCloskey.  Fabric from Clothworks

We still have a few kits left  - here is a list of all the supplies needed with the links for purchasing:


To complete this quilt you will need:
  1. Blocks Kit (for 12 center blocks)
  2. Setting & Finishing Kit (includes border blocks, borders, binding)
Suggested tools (I will be using these)
  1. Bias Square Plus Ruler
  2. Precision Trimmer 3

You'll need to purchase separately, 5.625 yards (44" wide) or 2.5 yards (108" wide) backing. You can find all the Raspberry and Cream fabrics HERE

Here is the schedule for the block of the month:


Block 1: Air Castles January 17
Block 2: Bear's Paw January 31
Block 3: Bird's in the Air February 14
Block 4: Cat's Cradle February 28
Block 5: Double X March 14
Block 6: Eliza's Nine Patch March 28
Block 7: Gentleman's Fancy April 11
Block 8: Goose Tracks April 25
Block 9: Grandmother's Pride May 9
Block 10: Grape Basket May 23
Block 11: Kansas Trouble June 6
Block 12: Missouri Star June 20

Double Four Patch and Stepping Stone Blocks: July 11
Setting Blocks: August 15
Quilt Assembly: September 12
Final Borders: October 10

If you are following along, post your pictures to Instagram and use the hashtag: sewingwithfwfabricstudio

Talk to you soon! 

5 comments:

Ida said...

Can I purchase the finishing kit at a later time?

Anonymous said...

I decided to order the finishing kit now because I didn't want them to run out when I was ready for it. I just got the first part yesterday.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

I have been saving the patterns I want to make this with a stack of fabrics I got for Christmas. Can you provide the patterns in pdf form so I can print them?
Many thanks for your creativity and encouragement

Anonymous said...

Just saw block 1. How do I get the rest of the block patterns??

Unknown said...

Hi, is it possible to get any more fabric kits? I love your website, your design and products.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...