Friday, March 31, 2017

Friday Bundle Batch {A Rose By Any Other Name}

Happy Friday friends! We have a lovely bundle to share with you today! I LOVED sewing with this beautiful bundle - be sure to scroll down to see my project and tutorial! 

A Rose By Any Other Name
This week's bundle features beautiful prints from Tanya Whelan!  Roses, gingham, and polka dots in blue & red!
You'll receive 8 Fat Quarters:
  1. Rambling Rose Blue Roses - Free Spirit
  2. Rambling Rose Gingham Ticking Red - Free Spirit
  3. Swiss Dots Aqua - Riley Blake
  4. Rambling Rose Granny's Wallpaper Red - Free Spirit
  5. Rambling Rose Cherries Blue - Free Spirit
  6. Swiss Dots Red - Riley Blake
  7. Princess Dreams Red Dots - Riley Blake
  8. Sadie's Dance Card Wild Flower Blue - Free Spirit

Let's just take a moment to enjoy how lovely this bundle of fabrics is! When I got this bundle - I literally just sat and stared at it.  I didn't want to cut into it!! 

These prints are right up my alley and just make my heart happy!  The prints reminded me of something I would see if I were having a tea party!  So I thought a Tea & Biscuits table runner was in order! :)  

I designed this pattern with one thing in mind - highlighting the fabrics.  I know some patterns it's all about the block pattern - but I really just wanted to showoff these fabulous fabrics. So I designed a block pattern that I thought would accomplish that. 


I wanted to use larger cuts so that you really got a feel for the fabric and see all those wonderful roses and flowers.  I also did a simple wavy organic line quilting to quilt the runner.  This is a super easy method of quilting - and I would recommend doing it with a walking foot if you decide on this method.  This is also a great quilting pattern to use if you are a beginner quilter! 


This red print with the ovals - has to be my favorite print from the whole bundle.  It is so vintagey and I think I need another yard or so to put in my stash! lol ;)  I also decided on a red polka dot for the binding - I thought it tied in nicely with the other prints from the bundle. 

Alright let's get started!!

Supplies:

1 A Rose By Any Other Name Fat Quarter Bundle
1 yard of White on White Swiss Dots (this is for background and I also used it to piece my backing)
1/3 yard of Red Swiss dots for binding

Cutting:

  • Background (white swiss dots)
  • Cut 10 - 1 3/8" x width of fabric strips - sub-cut into:
    • 4 - 1 3/8" x 14" strips (B)
    • 4 - 1 3/8" x 10 5/8" strips (D) 
    • 4 - 1 3/8" x 9 3/4" strips (F)
    • 8 - 1 3/8" x 4 3/4" strips (H)
    • 5 - 1 3/8" x 14" strips (Sashing)
    • 2 - 1 3/8" x 58 3/8" strips (top and bottom border)

  • Out of various prints from bundle (I did not use the blue or red swiss dots (You can use these to piece your background or just save for a later project! You can't have too many swiss dots in my opinion!)
    • 4 - 3" x 14" rectangles (A)
    • 4 - 3 7/8" x 10 5/8" rectangles (C)
    • 4 - 5 5/8" x 9 3/4" rectangles (E)
    • 12 - 3" x 4 3/4" rectangles (G)

Block Layout:

This may seem like a lot of sewing for one block - but if you chain piece when you are sewing your small white strips, this will go really quickly! 

*all seams are 1/4"


Making the block:







Now you are ready to baste, quilt and bind with your prefferd method! The awesome thing about this block is that you can rotate the blocks to mix it up if you'd like! This would also make a great block pattern to make into a quilt.  Since the block is rather large, you could whip up a quilt with this block in no time.


I hope you enjoyed my new pattern and tutorial and whip up your own Tea & Biscuits table runner!

Talk to you soon,


3 comments:

ShirleyC said...

Just beautiful!

memorybookmom said...

Beautiful!
I have a question: How much fabric is needed for the backing? I didn't see it in your directions. Thank you!

Lindsey said...

A yard of fabric would be plenty for backing - you will need to piece it though - since the runner is about 57" long by the time you are done! :)

-Lindsey

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...