Tuesday, October 17, 2017

2018 Block of the Month {Star Spangled}

Hi there!  I am super excited to announce our Block of the Month for 2018!! 

I really loved designing this quilt-along!  I put a little bit of everything that I love in this quilt design.  Star blocks, chains, and there's a pinwheel in there too! :) 



Quilt is 60" x 60"





Details:
  • This will be a 5 month long BOM - starting January and ending in May.  Schedule is below:
    • January 9 
    • January 30
    • February 13
    • February 27
    • March 13
    • April 10
    • May 8
    • May 29
  • I will post a detailed step by step, illustrated instruction sheet for each block, that you can download on each post date. 
  • Kits are available that include everything to piece the top and the binding.  Purchase KIT HERE!  (SOLD OUT)
  • You will need to purchase the backing separately. (3 7/8 yards)
  • There will be a "Bonus Mini Quilt" that will be made out of the extra pieces from this quilt! (Which will be posted on May 29th with a full tutorial.) More details on that in later posts! :) 
  • Blocks finish at 13.5" x 13.5" 
  • All blocks are traditionally pieced. 


Now that we went over all the details of the sew along - we can look at all the pretty pictures of this lovely quilt! 

Purchase KIT HERE   SOLD OUT


When I started designing this block of the month, I didn't want to do a traditional sampler.  I wanted the design to have all sorts of blocks, but flow together nicely.   So that's when I came up with the idea to do star blocks!  All the star blocks are the same, but the center's of each block vary slightly.

I then added some chain blocks to bring everything together.  I love the look of chain quilts, and so I really wanted to add that design element into the quilt.

Instead of doing plain borders, I thought it would be nice to do a pieced border that adds movement to the quilt.  The flying geese go all around the quilt in a clockwise pattern - with star blocks in each corner.



For backing, we picked this lovely print that really ties in nicely to all the fabrics on the front!  You can purchase the backing HERE!    We also have the same print in the blue color way that would look just as lovely on the back! 


Primrose Cottage Quilts did the binding and quilting on this quilt!  We love those fun swirls!  And the gingham binding just frames the quilt nicely!


So be sure to pick up a kit, and come sew along with us!! 
Talk to you soon,


14 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, sew pretty!!!

Maria said...

Love it!

Kerensa said...

Cute, can't wait to get started!

Unknown said...

Hello-I am looking for the first set of instructions for the Star Soangled BOM. I purchased the kit and thought it started today. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thank you!

stephannie.albrecht said...

I purchased the kit. Does the fabric need to be laundered and dried before beginning?

Jackie said...

Awesome quilt! Thank you for doing the BOM.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me how much of each fabric to use if we want to use our stash? Didn't see where it told how many yards for each fabric. Thanks.

Carried Away Quilting said...

This is going to be so fun!

The Quilted B said...

I have been eyeing this sew along since you announced it. I just may need to jump in! Thank you for the beautiful pattern.

WhiteEagle said...

I'm doing this one from my major stash of patriotic fabrics to be donated to a veteran. It's so easy I may do several. Thanks for a great easy design.

Unknown said...

Thank you from Australia. I love your website and really love your designs. Lorraine

Anonymous said...

When will block #2 be out?

Stevie said...

Beautiful

barbielady said...

When will block 4/installment be out??? Today is Feb 28. My schedule says Feb 27...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...