Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Turkey Tea Towel Tutorial


Hi there! Today I have a quick Thanksgiving project to share with you.  Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday of mine.  Not only because I am a foodie at heart, but because I love cooking.  Cooking and baking was my first passion.  In fact, when I was about 11 years old I asked for a mixer for Christmas.  I did get my mixer, and my own recipe box and cards.  It was awesome.  I remember sitting at the kitchen counter diligently copying my mom's recipe cards onto my own new recipe cards. It was probably my most memorable Christmas gift as a child! 

I grew up sitting at the kitchen counter watching my mom cook.  I helped any way that I could, by peeling potatoes, chopping up vegetables, and stirring anything she'd let me!  My first memory of cooking with my mom was when I was about 5 years old:



She was putting a roast in the oven and I was helping her unwrap the beef bouillon cubes.  I have always loved cooking with my mom and Thanksgiving is a way that we can cook together.  Although, now I am mostly the cook, and she follows behind me and cleans up my messes (I am a very messy cook).  I can't wait for Thanksgiving this year, because it will be the first Thanksgiving that my whole family is together--we haven't done that in a very long time! 

So I thought it would be nice to have some nice homemade touches to add to our Thanksgiving table. So I came up with this Turkey Tea Towel.  




This is a really quick project, that you could whip up before Thanksgiving next week! All it is is some basic appliqué, and stitching around your pieces.  Super easy! 


I used some fun colors for the Turkey's feathers! I wanted him to be nice and colorful! I used this awesome cross-weave fabric for the turkey, and I just love the look of it in person! You can find it here!  I appliquéd the turkey on some Natural Toweling.  I love this toweling, it has a great feel to it, and lovely color.  You can find it here!


Along with my love of cooking, I love old things.  The cookbook pictured in these pictures is an old vintage Watkins cookbook that my grandmother gave me when I was younger.  It's so fun to read the old recipes from that time! I have only made one recipe out of the book, which was a homemade ice cream recipe, but it was the best ice cream I've ever had! :)


The great thing about this pattern, is that you could appliqué this onto anything! Wouldn't some pot holders be fun?

Okay, what do you say, let's make one of these towels!




Supplies:
Fusible Web



Step 1: Iron your fusible web onto your fabric (according to the package instructions)



Step 2: Print out pattern, and cut out pieces.  Trace pieces onto your fabrics.



Step 3: Cut out your pieces and lay them out how you want them on your toweling.  Iron on to secure.








Step 4: Stitch around the pieces.  I just did a straight stitch, but you could use an appliqué stitch, or you could even hand stitch this.  Whatever you prefer! You can also match the your thread to all the feathers, I just used a cream, that matched the toweling to do mine.



Step 5: Add some eyes.  I just used a double french knot with some embroidery floss to add my eyes!




That's it! You have a fun Thanksgiving Turkey Towel to add to your table! :)

I think I need to make some pot holders now!

Talk to you soon,


4 comments:

Lara B. said...

Lindsey - such sweet and lovely memories! You were a very unusual child to ask for a mixer for Christmas! LOL The turkey towel looks cute and fun to make!

Missy Shay said...

Your turkey is adorable!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Awesome, this will make a great gift for my mom, who is hosting thanksgiving this year. I'm going to have my almost 4 year old help!

Patricia Campbell in AZ said...

I was JUST talking to my 5 year old granddaughter yesterday about making her a 'hand' Turkey t-shirt for Thanksgiving to wear to school! I love your pattern and colors! Adorable!! :-D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...