Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Valentine's Pillow Tutorial

Hi there! I have been on a pillow making spree!!!  :)   You know how much I love making pillows!  I figured I needed some more cute Valentine pillows to add to my collection.  This one is super simple and scrappy! 


I added a cute little appliquéd heart to one of the squares - just for some extra cuteness! I also added ric-rac around the border.   

I decided to quilt it with some simple straight line quilting.  I have found that I like to quilt my pillow tops because it gives them more structure.  You should try it out if you haven't before! 

Alright, let's get started!


Fabric Requirements:


Cutting:
  • 8- 4.5" x 4.5" red squares
  • 8 - 4.5" x 4.5" pink squares
  • 2 - 16.5" x 2" strips of border fabric
  • 2 - 19.5" x 2" strips of border fabric

Assembly:

Sew together your pink and red squares into a 16 patch. Alternating the red and pinks. Press.
If you are going to add ric rac, you will sew along the raw edge of your 16" patch.  Sew on with a 1/4" seam.


Sew on top and bottom border and press, then sew on left and right border and press. 

Now you can add your appliquéd heart if you would like.  Iron fabric to the fusible web according to directions.  Then cut out a heart and iron on to your pillow top. Stitch on to secure. 


Now you are ready to turn into a pillow - or you could quilt and bind and make a cute wall hanging! 


I hope you enjoyed the tutorial! There will be another cute Valentine Pillow tutorial in the near future- so stay tuned! ;)

Talk to you soon!


6 comments:

Quilts By Laurel said...

This is so cute! :)

Carried Away Quilting said...

SUPER sweet pillow! Love the touch of ric rac!!

Unknown said...

Fun pillow! Love the colors and fabrics. Thanks for the tutorial.

Rusticneedle said...

Luv this! You say u quilted your top, what do I buy for that and which step would I add that? Sorry, new to quilting.

Lindsey said...

Rustic needle: To quilt your pillow top, you will back your pillow front panel with some batting, and quilt as desired. Once you are done quilting it, you will trim off excess batting and proceed to the pillow making tutorial! :)

Sandy M said...

Thanks for sharing. I will make this for my grandchildren.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...