Friday, January 27, 2017

Fabric Frenzy Friday

Happy Friday!! I hope you all had a good week! We have a lovely bundle of fabric to share with you today.  I had so much fun sewing with this bundle - scroll down to see what I made! 

Fresh As Spring
Fresh As Spring




This week's bundle is full of fresh colors and speaks to us of Springtime!   Soothing greens and aquas.
You'll receive 1 cut of each (this bundle includes 2 cuts of the Natural Wonder Deco Park print):
  1. Natural Wonder Deco Park Green - Blend
  2. Painter's Canvas Sky - Michael Miller
  3. Remix Rings Lime - Robert Kaufman
  4. Swiss Dots Lime - Riley Blake
  5. Natural Wonder Deco Park Green - Blend
  6. On the Road Again Teal Dots - Wilmington
  7. Painter's Canvas Grass - Michael Miller
  8. Floral Elements Aqua Haze - Art Gallery

I am really smitten with this bundle!  These fabrics have me dreaming of spring time!! :) I decided to make a really simple runner with my fat quarter bundle:


I love the main print in this bundle - it is just so lovely and happy!  I decided to use that print as the main pieces of my runner - so I cut them on the larger side to showcase the lovely floral pattern!


To make this runner even easier - I skipped out on the binding, and sewed all the layers together and flipped right side out and stitched closed.  I love using this method on simple projects like these!

So let's get started:

Supplies needed:

Batting

Cutting:

Depending on how long you want your runner will determine how many strips to cut.

Each strip needs to be cut to 16" long - but the widths are varied. I cut mine anywhere from 1.5" wide -7" wide (the 7" wide pieces were of the main print)

Assembly:

You can make your runner as long as you would like and as wide as you'd like as well! This is all a personal preference.  So depending on how long you want your runner will depend on how many strips you sew together.  I just sewed strips together until I liked the length of it.  My runner ended up being about 50" long.

Lay your strips out - I decided to lay out the entire runner before I sewed it together  - I wanted to make sure I didn't have two of the same fabrics touching.  I also didn't want two of the same size of strips next to each other.  I wanted it varied.  If you don't care, you can just grab a strip of fabric and start sewing them together.  


Once you have your strips all sewn together - give it a good press.   Trim the sides if necessary to square up your runner.  When sewing strips together - you can tend to get a little wonky and may need to trim a little off the top and bottom.  I ended up giving mine a good trim to make sure it was nice and even on all sides. Once you do that, you will measure your runner and cut your batting and backing the exact size of your runner. 

Layer your batting first, then your runner right side up and then your backing right side down:


Once you have all the layers and lined up - you will pin ALL the way around.  This is very important - you don't want your fabrics shifting when you sew them together! If you have a walking foot - this is a great foot to use when sewing your layers together.  Once you have pinned, you will sew all the way around using 3/8" seam allowance - leave about a 4-6" opening.  I like to use a larger seam allowance just incase my fabrics do shift a little - I am sure to catch all three layers when sewing them together.  


Once you have sewn around your runner, you will use the opening to turn it right side out.  Once you do that press the opening shut and sew around the entire runner using about 1/8" seam allowance.  Once you do that, you can quilt it as well - you can simply stitch in the ditch if you don't want any noticeable quilting - or you could do some free motion quilting if you want some denser quilting! 

That's it! I think it took me less than an hour to complete this project and I love how it turned out! It looks really great on my entry table and has me ready for spring! :) 



Now that we shared our fabric for the week, we want to see yours!
Here is your chance to link up anything to do with fabric! You can link up finished quilts, a work in progress, a new fabric you just bought, a project made with fabric, or maybe you just want to show off some of your stash.  Anything goes--as long as it has to do with fabric! 
*Please link up a specific post, not your main page
*Please link back or use a button on your post, or blog. 
*Please visit some other links and leave a comment! :) 


4 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful Fabric Bundle - love the tutroial for this one!

Laundered Cotton said...

Thank you for the linkup. That runner is perfect for the long wooden table I'm using for winter-time plant stand at my front window. Thanks!

King Fabrics said...

Beautiful..........

Mary Morton said...

Jan. 15, 2018
Just found your site. [It was mentioned on the Carried Away Quilting site.] I'm a year too late for this lovely fabric bundle, but I will be looking for more current ones. Love the fabrics and the easy pattern tutorial. I'm a fairly new piecer [I send my quilts out to be quilted] so this pattern will be easy for me even given my lack of experience. Thank you for sharing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...