Tuesday, February 4, 2014

How To Make a Quilt {Part 1}

I am excited to share with you a new series we are doing for the month of February! 


If you are a new quilter, or have wanted to make a quilt but didn't know where to start or what to do---this will be the perfect time for you to start.  If you are a seasoned quilter, but want to follow along and add in your tips and suggestions as we go through this series--they are welcome and would be very appreciated! 

I will go through all the steps--from cutting your fabric to quilting your quilt.  

First, let's go over the supplies you will need to make a quilt.





1. Cutting Mat -- I have several different cutting mats in different sizes.  I like to use a large one to trim my fat quarters and cut larger pieces of fabric.  I have a rotating cutting mat to trim up blocks and smaller pieces.  If you are just starting out--I would get a larger sized mat that is large enough to cut a fat quarter.  A rotating mat is not required, but can be really useful when we trim up our blocks.

2. Ruler-- There are a variety of different kinds of rulers in different sizes.  I have several rulers, but use this one the most.  It is a 24" x 6" ruler.  It comes in handy when you need to cut larger pieces of fabric.  I also have a variety of square rulers.  These are helpful when trimming up blocks accurately. You can also get these cool grippers for you rulers---to prevent sliding! You can check those out here.

3. Rotary Cutter--This is a must! This will help you accurately and quickly cut your fabric.  I bought my rotary cutter over 5 years ago--but I change the blade regularly.  For the most accurate cutting make sure your blade is nice and sharp. Also, be sure to always have your blade's safety on when not using it. (We sell rotary cutters in the shop--you can go here to purchase one)

4. Scissors -- I have two pairs of scissors.   A large pair that I use to cut fabric ONLY.  The smaller pair I use for snipping thread. (If you are looking for a great pair of scissors---we carry these awesome embroidery scissors--perfect for snipping those pesky threads!)

5. Thread--I like cotton thread the best, but please buy whatever works for you and your machine.  There is quite a debate on which thread is best when piecing and quilting--I use what works for me, my sewing machine, and most of all my budget.  If you don't know what you prefer, then I would suggest starting with a cotton thread first--see if you like it and if it works for you and your machine.  If you aren't a fan, then try polyester or a blend.  This is something you will figure out as you go.  I started out using polyester thread, but found I prefer cotton thread now.  I almost always piece with white thread--unless I am using really dark fabric then I use a darker thread.

6. 1/4" Foot--This is not required, but is extremely helpful when maintaing accuracy.  If you don't have one, and want one--then make sure you get the right one for your specific machine.  My 1/4" foot did not come with my machine, so I had to purchase it online.  If your machine doesn't have the option for a 1/4" foot, then you can still quilt! What matters most is being consistent! So if your 1/4" seam is a bit wide--then that's okay--as long as you keep all seams consistent.

7. Seam Ripper--Unpicking is not fun--but we all have to do it! So be sure to have one of these handy. If you need a new seam ripper--check this one out!

8. Pins--I am not a huge fan of pinning--but it is necessary when getting your seams lined up! So invest in a pin cushion and some pins. You will thank me later! ;)

9. Iron--You will want an iron close by when you are sewing so you can easily press your seams and also iron out any wrinkles in your fabric.  There is also a debate whether you should or should not use steam when pressing.  I use steam.  I am careful not to stretch the fabric, but I feel like steam gives me the best result.  This is something you will need to decide if you like it or not--try it both ways and see which you prefer!

10. Fabric--We are going to primarily use fat quarters for this quilt.  So what is a fat quarter?  A fat quarter is simply a piece of fabric cut 18" wide by 22" long.  We will talk about what fat quarter bundle we are using--on Thursday!

11. Needles -- This is not pictured above, but it is a good idea to change your sewing needle often.  I like to change mine very regularly.  Whenever I start a new quilt I change my needle out.  I have also heard it is a good idea to change your needles after about 5-8 hours of sewing.

Now that we know what supplies we need, Thursday we will go over the quilt design and fabric requirements!

If you have any questions regarding the supplies listed then leave a comment or send an email:
 lindsey@fortworthfabricstudio.com

What supplies/notions do you use that I didn't mention above?

Talk to you soon,


*Mandy's Recipe Box Tuesday *Time To Sparkle *Wow Me Wednesday at Polkadots on Parade Whimsy Wednesday at The NY Melrose Family *Wip Wednesday at Freshly Pieced Sew Fresh Quilts  Let's Bee Social Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Cottage *We Did It Wednesday! at Sew Much Ado
Needle and Thread Thursday by My Quilt Infatuation *Really Random Thursday by Live a Colorful Life
Thursday Threads by 627Handworks * I Quilt by Pretty BobbinsLink Party Palooza at Today's Creative Blog *Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different Act Normal

10 comments:

nettie said...

This is going to be so fun to follow along I love to get new ideas and fun things to sew.. Especially with fat quarters I buy them but never know what to make with them......;o)

http://thankfullga447 said...

Thank you for this series, it will be helpful.

Anonymous said...

Appreciate all the input you can provide! Joyce

Tracy said...

I am so happy to see you doing this! I started quilting 31/2yrs ago now and I was just learning about the blogging community then too. It took me awhile of a lot of searching but eventually found different sites that gave me the information on what was needed. This is great!

Anonymous said...

This will be great! Can't wait to see what design you use. I'm needing to make a baby quilt soon! Thinking about a quilt as you go. ...but can't wait to see what u have in mind. Will the sessions only be available at certain times or will they be archived on FWFS website? melbahayes@yahoo.com

Lorna McMahon said...

This is a fabulous idea for a series! Great idea! And thanks so much for sharing!

Quilting Nonnie said...

This is going to be a fantastic series. I'm going to email this post to a couple of friends of mine who keep wanting to start quilting, but then don't quite make it to our small quilt group. I started out with a very small mat when I started quilting because it is expensive to start out. Believe it or not, I used a 12"x18" mat on my ironing board. And I cut everything on it. Not quite what I would recommend, but a smaller size that could save some bucks at the beginning is a 18 x 24. You didn't say what size needles you buy but I'm happy 75/11.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I think you covered all the basics quite well here! Of course there are other things that can make certain steps easier (like Wonder Clips for binding and basting spray because I could never go back to pinning). Are you going to do a post about batting? That is something I found very confusing when I was learning to sew.

Got my order in the mail yesterday and love the fabric! Thank you!!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a great way to inspire new quilters! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Run 'n Stitch said...

I recommend a good working sewing machine too. Get to know your machine before you start using it. Make sure your top tension and your bobbin tension are set. Accurate cutting and 1/4" seams are so important to the look of finished project and both can be undermined if your machine isn't working well. Thank you so much for offering this series of tutorials!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...