Thursday, April 23, 2015

April Mystery Project 2 {Hexie Mini Quilt}


Hi there! It's time for our second Mystery Project of the month! This time we are making this fun Hexie Mini:

I have recently fallen in love with making hexies, and thought it would be fun to do a small project with these addicting little shapes! :) 

The great thing about making hexies, is that you can take them on the go! If I know I will be taking a long car ride, or maybe waiting for my daughter at dance practice I will take my hexies along with me and stitch them up!  They can be very relaxing to make, and I really enjoy stitching them when I'm on a netflix binge!  


Alright, let's get started! 




Supplies:


  • 33 - 3" squares cut from various fabrics from your bundle
  • 1 17" x 17" piece of the white background fabric
  • 1 19" x 19" piece of backing fabric for the backing (fabric that has sticker marked - save for backing in your bundle)
  • 1 19" x 19" piece of batting
  • 2 - 2.5" x width of fabric strips of the navy feather print for binding
  • hexie papers
  • Needle and thread
  • Scissors


Step 1: I thought it would be easier to show you how to do this in a video!! So watch the video below to learn how to paper piece a hexie!




Step 2: Make 33 hexies

Step 3: Now it's time to sew the hexies together into little hexie flowers! To do this, you will place two hexies right sides together (the papers are still in place at this point)  and stitch them together with a needle and thread.  You do not want to stitch through the papers.  You will just barely get the edge of each hexie when you sew them together. You will only stitch along one of the sides.  Make sure you knot off the end when you sew the sides together.

Stitch 6 hexies together to make a flower.  Sitch 3 hexies together to make a half flower.



This is how it will look once you have stitched two of them together:


You will make:
 4 - hexie flowers
 3 - hexie half flowers


Step 4: Give your hexie flowers and half flowers a good press, and then carefully remove the papers, and then press again for good measure! :)

Step 4: Now you will make your quilt sandwich.  Place the backing right side down, batting in the middle and the your background fabric on top.  Then place your hexie flowers and half flowers wherever you think looks good.  

Step 6: Pin baste everything in place! PIN, PIN, PIN!! If you don't want your flowers shifting and moving (which mine did a bit) you will want to make sure you pin a lot! Or if you don't mind, you could tack the hexie flowers down with a tack stitch by hand.

(One thing I thought of after I made this is if you added the center of the flowers you might not get as much shifting and stretching when quilting, I'm not sure if it would help, but I wanted to throw it out there in case anyone wanted to try it!)

Step 7: Quilt! I would recommend quilting around your hexie flowers first to make sure they don't shift if you do any straight line quilting like I did.  I didn't do that, and I had some stretching and shifting of my flowers.  

Step 8: Bind! 

That's it! You have a fun and modern mini! :)


I hope you have fun making this fun mini! :)

Talk to you soon,



1 comment:

Vicki H said...

Love it! What size hexies did you use?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...