Sunday, September 21, 2014

Arrows Aweigh {Boy Quilt}

Hi there! I have a fun, quick quilt to show you guys today! About two weeks ago, I was asked by a friend to make twin baby boy quilts for her new nephews! I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make these quilts, so I thought I'd share them with you!




This pattern is SO simple, and easy.  It comes together quickly, and can easily be made bigger by adding more blocks.  You could also make the blocks bigger, if you wanted to make a larger quilt.

I was told that the twin's room was done in navy and gray, and so I had fun picking out some awesome navy and gray prints.  I wanted these quilts to be boyish, without being "babyish" if that makes any sense.  I thought I really achieved that with the simple and clean lines of this pattern.





 My friend and I had decided it would be a good idea to have something to make each one different, so they could tell which quilt belonged to which boy.  We thought it would be fun to make the backings different.  I used these super fun Fly Aweigh prints by Riley Blake on the backs.  I love, love, love these prints and they really go well with the color scheme we decided on!



I quilted both quilts with organic wavy lines.  It gave the quilt a nice texture, but kept the overall quilt simple.  I sent this to the binding fairy, and she did a wonderful job binding these  quilts with one of my favorite binding fabrics--- Navy Sketch by Timeless Treasures

Finished Quilt Size 36" x 36"


Alright, let's get started!

Fabric Requirements:

Various Fat Quarters or quarter yard cuts of Navy and Gray
1.5 yards of background fabric (Warm White)
1.5 yards of Backing fabric  (Fly Aweigh)
1/3 yard of Binding (Sketch)


Cutting Required:

13 Navy 5" Squares
12 Gray 5" Squares
25 White 5" Squares
13  White strips 2" x WOF





Step 1: Take one white 5" square and one blue 5" square (graphic 1)

Step 2: Place them right sides together. (Graphic 2)

Step 3: Stitch around the perimeter of the block a 1/4" from the outside edge.  (graphic 3)

Step 4: Using a rotary cutter and ruler, slice on each diagonal.  (Graphic 4)

Step 5: You will now have four half square triangles.  Press them open.  (Graphic 5)

Step 6: Place your half square triangles in an arrow shape. (Graphic 6)

Step 7: Place two top blocks right sides together, and sew a 1/4" seam. Do the same to the bottom two blocks (Graphic 7)

Step 8: Place the top and bottom piece right sides together and sew a 1/4" seam. Press block open. Trim blocks to all the same size.

Make 13 blue arrow blocks, and 12 gray arrow blocks. 




Step 9: Sew blocks together in rows of 5, adding a 2" x 6" strip in between each block.

Step 10: Measure the length of your rows and then cut your sashing strip 2" x  length of your rows. Then sew a strip in between each row and on the top and bottom.

Step 11: Measure the length of the left and right sides of your quilt and then sew a 2" x length of quilt, strip on the left and right sides.

Step 12: Press.

Step 13: Baste, quilt and bind your quilt with your preferred method.

And that's it!

I love how these turned out, and I am thinking I want to make another one of these for my little guy, but making the blocks much bigger!


I hope you enjoyed this fun and simple quilt pattern! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Talk to you soon,



10 comments:

Vicki H said...

Thanks for the tutorial. With six grandsons, I can always use ideas for a boy quilt. Perfect.

roberta mill said...

Thanks for sharing-ooo the possibilities :) Fun!

carolann said...

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing this great tutorial!

Lynda said...

wish I had this pattern a couple of weeks ago - thank you for your generosity of sharing - great quilt and there is so much you could do with this - even use as a scrap buster

gnomeangel said...

What a fabulous and impactful quilt design. Thanks for sharing - have added it to my must make list!

Michele said...

I like, I like and so perfect for twin boys.

Anonymous said...

A truly wonderful design especially for boys. I know what I will be doing this weekend. Thank you for sharing

Stefanie Coffey said...

I was looking for a new pattern for a girls quilt and this one really stood out on Pinterest. Even though it's boy fabric I think it will look beautiful in the fabric I have. I will try to post a picture of the finished quilt in the comments. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Greg Molloy said...

Love this pattern and would like to make it for my grandson. I think I need your help. What size would you make the blocks for a four year old?

Lindsey said...

Hi Greg - You could keep the blocks the same size, and just make more blocks. Or you could make them an inch or two bigger by cutting your blocks 6" or 7"!

I hope this helps! :)

Lindsey

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...